Various migratory shorebirds winter on Midway Atoll NWR. Numerous vagrant species have been observed as well. Common migratory shorebirds include:
- Ruddy Turnstone – ‘Akekeke (Arenaria interpres): Learn more
- Wandering Tattler – ‘Ulili (Tringa incana)
- Pacific Golden Plover – Kolea (Pluvialis dominica fulva): Learn more
- Bristle-thighed Curlew – Kioea (Numenius tahitiensis): Learn more
- Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus)
View more photos of Midway Atoll’s avifauna in our Birds Gallery.